Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A warm welcome to author, Deena Nehring, and her newly released book,
A Warrier Awakens!
 
 
 

Q: What inspired you to become a writer?

 A: I’m not sure I can explain it, as I’ve written all of my life. Way back in grade school, I recall my 5th grade teacher telling me I was going to grow up to be a writer, due to the fact that I would create such interesting stories for her to read during class. I actually won first place in a State of Iowa writing contest (4th grade), for a short story I’d written. What inspires me to continue to write? I’m still not sure of that really.  I just write. I love writing. It’s my favorite thing to do; always has been. There is just something within me which compels me to weave fiction. As for what inspired me to write my book A Warrior Awakens? I wanted to share my story with others in hopes that doing so would give other cancer patients hope and courage to keep fighting, as well as to also give people in general a better understanding of what it is like to be faced with such a devastating disease. I kept a journal during my battle, so I basically converted the journal into a book; it’s a true life portrayal of what I went through, dealt with, and experienced while I battled Advance Breast Cancer.

 
Q: How do you balance your personal life with your writing career?

A:  To be honest it just works out for me. I don’t know, it may sound corny but…I was once told a very long time ago, “Anybody can say that they write. But in order to be a true writer, one must make the time every day to actually write. If one is meant to do something, then it all basically falls into place. If one struggles, then something about it just isn’t right.” So I guess I learned a long time ago to balance both life and writing. As a mom, a soon to be wife, a grandma, a Nurse as well as a writer, I’ve also learned that you have to set priorities. I’ve always set aside time every day to write; no matter what. Whether it’s working on a current project, or doing research, character and/or plot development, or maybe just editing a project itself—I have at least a couple hours per-day to focus on writing with no distractions.  To ensure this (that no distractions part), I normally do all of my writing late at night. That way, I do not feel like I am neglecting anybody or anything (family-wise that is).  Of course, being a mom, a grandma, a soon to be wife, as well as a Nurse, I—a long time ago—acquired the art of multitasking, so even though I may be doing a dozen things, it is not uncommon for my brain to still be working out plots and dialog. On occasion, I will, and do, seize the opportunity to sneak in a few hours of writing during the day if/when the opportunity presents itself. 


Q: Who, or what, is the driving force that keeps you going?

A: The “what” would be the need to just write. The “who”, I have to say, is the characters themselves which become the “driving force” that keeps me going. I may come up with an idea, or tentative “game-plan” for a plot and have control of what happens, but once those characters are created they pretty much take over. It is as if they won’t let me rest until I told their story. Sound crazy I know, but while working on a project and once those characters come to life they won’t shut up about the plot or what comes next until I’ve completed the manuscript itself….and then some even demand a sequel. LOL!  I’ve actually had a few people say to me “You do know they are only fictional characters right?” if/when I happen to be talking about them or a project.  ….um Duh, of course I know that; I created them silly! LOL

 Q: What is/are your favorite genre(s)?

A: My favorite genres to read…well, I have a handful of favorite authors (such as Tami Hoag, Nora Roberts and Elena Aitken) but I’ll pretty much read any genre as long as it captivates me and continues to hold my interest.  In regards to weaving fiction, however, my favorite genre to write is psychological criminal thrillers peppered with romantic suspense.


Q: Where can people find you and your work on the web?

 
A: I can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PinkRibbonPress  and also on Goodreads at www.goodreads.com/author/show/6521412.Deena_Nehring

 
My book A Warrior Awakens is available in paperback, on Kindle as well as on Nook. It can be found locally at CCC Bookstore in Clinton Iowa, or it can also be found on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Awakens-Mothers-Journey-Advanced/dp/0615684017/ref=tmm_pap_title_0 and also at Barnes & Noble.com http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-warrior-awakens-a-single-mothers-journey-through-advanced-breast-cancer-deena-nehring/1112573272?ean=2940014902502

 
 Author Bio

Deena Nehring is a Stage III-B Advanced Breast Cancer survivor of 4 years. Writing fiction has always been a hobby for Deena. While she normally enjoys weaving fiction (usually criminal thrillers peppered with romantic suspense), it was during her battle with advanced breast cancer that she began working on A Warrior Awakens— as it started out simply as her own personal journal. A few years after ‘beating the odds’ and becoming a Survivor, and due to the encouragement of family and friends, Deena finally decided to turn her personal journal into a non-fiction autobiography in order to share her story with others. Deena currently resides in Clinton Iowa with her family. Her debut book, A Warrior Awakens: A single mother’s journey through Advanced Breast Cancer, was published on August 16th 2012, and was recently featured on KWQC-TV6’s The Paula Sands Live show this past October.    

 
Book description:

In this poignant and candid true-life tale, cancer survivor Deena Nehring unveils the personal journal she kept as she reveals her innermost thoughts, fears and struggles, while faced with the staggering diagnosis of Stage III-B Advanced Breast Cancer at only 38 years of age. As a single (divorced) mom, Deena shares how she navigated her way through the challenging landscape of cancer patient to survivorship, and everything in between—all while juggling a household, raising three kids, and simultaneously coping with the raw pain of knowing her mother was losing her own battle to cancer itself…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment