Saturday, July 28, 2012

Welcome to new author

Kaitlyn Deann!!

 

Up and coming author Kaitlyn Deann is my superstar guest for this week's interview!

This 17 year old native Texan has published her first book, The Witches' Sleep, and was super pumped to tell everyone about it by doing the interview.

So read on, friends, and get to know the delightful Kaitlyn Deann!

~*~*~


AM: Where are you originally from?
KD: Texas. I’ve always lived in Texas! I hope that I always will! I'm a Texan for life.


What inspired you to become a writer?

I’ve always loved telling stories and I found at a young age that I love the art of writing just as much. Put the two together and there you have it! I'm now a story writer!


How did you decide on your book's genre?
What I like to read is what I like to write. I’ve always preferred reading fantasy and sci-fi and/or mystery and suspense. I kind of like to write books with a plethora of genres thrown in there. For example: Fantasy to feed your imagination, some sci-fi to make things interesting, action to make you squeal excitedly, a little bit of mystery to keep you interested, suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat, mild romance to give the tender heart a tug.... but mainly fantasy.


What is/are your favorite genre(s)?

Fantasy, hands down. But like I said in the previous question, I like a little bit of everything thrown in there. Those type of books are my favorites.


Are you currently reading anything?
Yes, I am! I’m reading Starters by Lissa Price.


Who or what is the driving force that keeps you  going?

Just wanting to see it finished, I suppose.


How do you balance your personal life with your writing career?
It’s hard to balance my personal life and my writing career sometimes. Some days I just want to sit down and write ALL DAY LONG, but it would be irresponsible. I set a limit for myself in my writing. During the school year, I only write AFTER I’ve finished all my schoolwork (I’m home schooled, by the way).


Tell us about your book.

The Witches’ Sleep is a fantasy novel about a girl who is shot and killed at 17. She ends up waking up on a different planet in a different body. Turns out she wasn’t really human. Her witch soul had traveled out of her body because of the Witches’ Sleep, an illness every witch child experiences. So she has to figure out this world, which seems almost like a magical, perfect place. But she has one problem with these people: They have slaves. She wants to do something about it but the punishment for interference is banishment to a place where life can’t survive for very long. She has to make a decision, a life or death decision. Those choices are always hard. Question is, what does she choose?


How do you create your characters?
Very carefully. Ha, ha! I make sure I know them inside and out before letting my proofreaders read what I’ve written. I have to know their likes and dislikes, their driving force, their favorite color and food, their childhood, their future — everything.


Do you have any upcoming events or book  promotions?

THE WITCHES’ SLEEP comes out July 25th. After it comes out I will start scheduling events like book signings, etc.


Where can people find you and your work on the  web?
Amazon, for sure, but I will try getting it on Barnes & Noble’s website too and other places like Goodreads and Smashwords.

~*~*~

Kaitlyn, I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about your new release. It's so wonderful to see a younger generation taking an interest in writing and having the ambition to take it a step further.
I wish you all the VERY best in your future endeavors!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment